I know that the key to a successful relationship between the Police and the Community is to maintain open communication with the residential and business communities. In April of this year, I established a Police Chief’s Advisory Council consisting of eight members of the Cathedral City community who represent both the residential and business community. This group of people graciously agreed to volunteer their time on this council in order to assist me as your Police Chief to become more aware and involved with the needs of our community. The Chief’s Advisory Council and I have created a mission statement and a set of values and responsibilities that will be the foundation of this endeavor which I have included in this message. The current members of this group are Denise Rodriguez-Bowman, Larry Davis, Victor Lupercio, Dale Jagodzinski, Kathleen Jurasky, Craig Loe, Scott Robinson and Karen Panico-Willis.
Our mission is to work in partnership with the Cathedral City Chief of Police to help assure that the department maintains the highest standards of integrity. Assist in enhancing the quality of life through the delivery of professional, superior, and compassionate police services to the community and to apply knowledge, skills, and resources to foster an environment where all people can live safely and without fear.
Our mission is accomplished within the framework of the following set of values:
Our objective is to advise and/or assist the Cathedral City Chief of Police to preserve the peace in a manner consistent with the freedoms secured by law.
The advisory council was established to provide the Cathedral City Police Chief a forum for police-community interaction and to address public safety and related issues in order to further enhance the quality of life in our community. The council advises and assists the Cathedral City Chief of Police to:
- Create dialog and explore the perceptions of the Cathedral City Police Department and the community concerning the inter-relationship with each other regarding public safety issues within the community
- Receive information concerning the Cathedral City Police Department programs and operations
- Give input regarding new programs under development by the Cathedral City Police Department
- Provide input to the Cathedral City Police Chief regarding service needs within the community
- Assist the Cathedral City Police Chief in assessing the effectiveness of department operations/programs
- Identify gaps in services and/or communication
- Enhance the community understanding of the capabilities of the Cathedral City Police in providing services to the community
- Identify potential police-community partnerships to address public safety related issues within the community
- Identify community resources and support for public safety activities; and give input concerning perceived effectiveness